What we do
The AutoTec Foundation works to change and influence the lives of thousands of children, many of whom may be under privileged, in Mpumalanga by:
- Working with local business and organisations to upgrade school structures and learning environments.
- Offering learners opportunities to optimise their schooling experience to which they otherwise may not have access.
- Improving academic results at the schools.
- Offering companies that support the schools a BEE solution with accountability and results.
- Offering the companies team building opportunities which at the same time touch the lives of their employees.
- Developing and implementing sustainable long term solutions to community deficiencies and problems.
- Eco School membership of schools the AutoTec Foundation requires all Schools to register as Eco schools and partake in the program. Learners are taught about climate change, waste management and energy saving.
- Learners are taught to establish vegetable gardens and plant fruit trees to improve food security and self-sufficiency in the community.
- The food crops are used to supplement meals provided under the Government feeding scheme.
- The schools celebrate Arbour Day annually.
- Learners partake in competitions / projects that include the community.
- Projects include: Pyramid gardens, clay ovens, hot bags, solar power systems, etc.
- Arts and Culture Development programmes include the annual “Colour your life” project and gala event. The project includes development in the visual arts and training in mime, and form part of the skills development program.
- Social Development programmes includes a programme to mark Woman’s Day, prefect and learners Code of Conduct, health and Life Style, challenges, hygiene protocol, etc.
- A Scout group is encouraged in every school and supported by the AutoTec Foundation.
- Literacy development is forged through the supply of books, resource materials and competitions.
School Fundraising Projects
- A recycling station has been established at each AutoTec Foundation school for income generation purposes.
- Other fundraising projects include, papermaking press, selling of vegetables and herbs, etc.
- Where possible, a source of safe drinkable water is created at each school.
- Schools supported by the AutoTec Foundation, are fully upgraded and renovated, including toilet facilities, painting of classrooms (colour therapy is introduced), the building of kitchens, the repair of existing facilities and the installation and upgrading of libraries.
- Food gardens are established to supply fruit and vegetables for incorporations in nutritional meals prepared in hygienic conditions in the newly build kitchens. Extra food supplies are provided by the AutoTec Foundation when deliveries fail or when required for events or learner trips.
- Infrastructure is re-organised to promote better utilization of existing facilities and resources, eg. Storage space, more class rooms created, computers training areas, etc.
Sports Facilities and Playgrounds
- Sports facilities are established or upgraded where possible.
- Sports equipment is provided and training is organised.
- Jungle gyms are erected at primary schools and separate and appropriate play areas are created.
- Sport tournaments are organised, which include the annual “Ama Vulus Youth against Crime” soccer tournament and a chess tournament.
- Tertiary education and training, job opportunities are arranged for grade 12 learners.
- Company involvement is crucial in this regard, ie. Learner ships and bursaries are sourced and supplied.
- Teachers are trained in the management and implementation of systems in their school.
- Teachers are assisted and supplied with the necessary equipment to be more effective in their day-to-day activities and curriculum.
- Computer utilization is promoted.
- Teacher motivational courses, ie. Leadership courses “untapped potential” courses, etc. are introduced in the 2nd year.